North African Freekeh Pilaf
A healthy, protein-packed vegetarian meal, infused with North African flavours.
- 200g of Artisan Grains Greenwheat Freekeh (1 pack)
- 1 Litre of vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large courgette, thinly sliced length ways
- 1 Teaspoon of Ras El Hanout spice
- 1 Tablespoon of rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 100g of pomegranate seeds
- 50g of pistachio nuts (shelled and roughly chopped)
- 1 small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- A small handful of mint leaves, for garnish
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Add the Greenwheat Freekeh and olive oil to 1 Litre of slightly salted water or stock in a medium saucepan.
- Stir, bring to the boil and reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain water and set aside.
- If using Microwave Freekeh, follow pack instructions and microwave on high (800W) for 90 seconds.
- In a griddle pan or frying pan on medium/high heat, add the rapeseed oil and courgette strips, sprinkling with Ras El Hanout Spice, and fry until lightly browned and crisping. Turn occasionally to ensure even frying.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked Freekeh with pomegranate seeds, pistachios and chopped parsley to ensure well mixed together and season to taste.
- Serve in individual bowls and finish with the courgette strips and mint leaves.