Quinoa & Bulgur Sushi
Swap out white rice for something a little more wholesome and full of flavour!
- A 200g box of Artisan Grains Quinoa and/or Artisan Grains Bulgur
- 3 medium carrots cut into thin strips
- Half of a large cucumber cut into thin strips
- 70g of shredded red cabbage or thinly sliced pickled beetroot
- 30g of fresh spinach leaves
- 4 sheets of nori seaweed
- Sushi rice seasoning/mirin (optional) [1 part mirin for every 4 parts grain]
- Bamboo/sushi rolling mat (or foil)
- For serving: wasabi, pickled ginger and soy sauce
- Cook the Quinoa according to package instructions or until tender and set aside to cool.
- When the mix has cooled down, add about 4 tablespoons of sushi mirin to the Quinoa – this isn’t sushi rice so you don’t want it to be too wet!
- Take a bamboo rolling mat (or the foil) and place a sheet of seaweed on top*.
- Spread enough mix to cover three quarters of the seaweed and push it to the edges – making a layer of the mix about ½ cm thick. Leave the quarter the furthest away from you plain.
- Start placing the vegetables on top of the Quinoa in a line a little off centre, nearest to your body (don’t over fill!).
- Roll up the bamboo mat slowly, tucking in the closer end of the sushi roll and pressing lightly with both hands to secure the filling.
- Remove the roll from the mat and leave to sit with the sealed/joining edges downwards.
- You can wrap the roll in cling film and keep it in a cool place until you are ready to serve (refrigerating the roll may dry it out).
- Use a lightly moistened sharp knife to trim the ends off, then cut into 6-8 pieces.
- Repeat the process with the other nori sheets and the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve with the pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.
*Have a small bowl of water nearby to dip your hands in – this prevents things from sticking too much.